Lincoln Douglas Center

Across from the county courthouse sits the Lincoln Douglas Center, built in 1897. According to the building’s current owners, the structure features an Italian Renaissance style. The original owners, the German Insurance Company, went bankrupt after the great quake hit San Francisco in 1906.

The county courthouse hosts a monument “To the heroic dead of Stephenson County.”

(top) Lincoln Douglas Center and (above) To the Heroic Dead, March 6, 20204. Freeport, Illinois.